Wow, we’ve been spoilt for award nominations lately! I can’t tell you how proud it makes us both that when our fellow bloggers think entertainment, versatility, or sunshine, they also think of us. So many of you have made us smile, and Cauthan and Tessa are the latest but by no means least with their kind nominations for the Sunshine Blogger Award. Thanks so much, you two. They both run wonderful blogs themselves, so do go and check them out.
- Thank the person who nominated you in a blog post and link back to their blog.
- Answer the 11 questions sent by the person who nominated you.
- Nominate 11 new blogs to receive the award and write them 11 new questions.
- List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award logo in your post and/or on your blog.
Dominic’s been quizzed out after writing up our Entertainer and Versatile award posts, so I’ll be taking over for this one. As Cauthan was first to nominate us, I went with his questions, so without further ado…
1. What is your favorite animated movie?
Princess Mononoke was the first anime movie, and the first animated movie in general, that gave me a new outlook on what the format could achieve. I’d never cried with such complexity of emotion over a film, it showed me a cruel beauty I’d never seen before. So while I don’t have a particular animated movie that stands out as my absolute favourite, this one will always have a special place in my memory.
2. What do you think is a particular strength of your writing style or format?
One thing I’ve been working on recently is giving a more personal tone to my writing, in some cases digging down to my inner truths to help that come through in my blog posts and other freelance work. It’s been a painful process, but with my piece on Amanchu! and overcoming anxiety, I finally broke through to my truth. I feel like it’s shown in my writing ever since, so that tipping point was something I was happy and grateful to share with our wonderful little community.
3. Which anime features your favorite soundtrack?
Drumroll for the desperately obvious answer please…iiiiiit’s Cowboy Bebop. I mean, what else? No other anime has more perfect OP and ED themes, and I adore the sexy solemn swinging blues feel it creates all the way through. All hail Yoko Kanno and the Seatbelts!
4. What is your favorite video game and why?
I have this weird thing with video games where I love watching while someone else plays, but when I play something myself I give up too easily or just lose interest. So even though there are games I know I like from backseat gaming, I couldn’t really say I have a favourite.
5. Which anime series would you most like to give the ‘Brotherhood’ treatment to?
Maybe an odd choice here, but I’d like to see a revamped Speed Grapher, for aesthetic reasons more than anything else. The subject matter and philosophical themes are deliciously dark, but it seems it was so non-populist for its time that it got stuck with bog-standard animation. If it was possible that it could ever be picked up again, I’d love to see the visuals emboldened to suit its story.
Also, for Dominic, I’ll add Shaman King a la Ushio and Tora.
6. What’s a genre (TV/Movies/Books/Anime/etc) that surprised you with how much you enjoyed it?
Horror, movie-wise in particular. It snuck up on me, appropriately enough, to the point where I just found myself enjoying it. I can’t even put a pin in any one movie that made me a fanatic, but Poltergeist, Hellraiser and bits of Batman Returns all had their part to play.
7. What anime did you drop the fastest?
Keijo!!!!!!!!. Got about three seconds in. We couldn’t make it past the butt cannon.
8. What is your favorite anime Ending sequence? (ED)
The ending for Free! Iwatobi Swim Club is one of the best I’ve seen so far. I love that it has a whole alternate Arabian Nights story contained within the closing sequence, and all the boys’ dance moves at the beginning. Nagisa just gets me every time.
9. How many shows are you watching this Fall 2016 season and which is your favorite so far?
Seven at the moment. We’re not sure whether we’ll stick with Trickster, but currently keeping up with Izetta, Sound! Euphonium, Wagnaria, Bungo Stray Dogs, March comes in like a lion and, our favourite for this season, Yuri!!! on Ice. My gods. The shimmery skintight outfits. Yuri and Viktor. It’s all too beautiful.
10. What show do you feel is in a dire need of a re-watch from you?
Hunter x Hunter, because all its majesty couldn’t have fully sunk in with one watch alone. Also, Lucky Star for review purposes *rubs hands together with glee*.
11. Who is your favorite director in anime? (Movie or show)
Hmm, this is a tough one for me. But going back to Yuri, I’m very excited to see what Sayo Yamamoto does next. Yuri’s Eros performance made me take notice of what great directing entails, and how it enhances the story being told. She has a touch of something magical, and that touch makes Yuri, Turio and Viktor’s dances captivating.
- Lita from LitaKino Anime Corner
- Jeko from UEM!
- Two Happy Cats
- HijackedCat from Another Gaming Day
- LynLyn from Just Something About LynLyn
- The Josei Next Door
- KimmieKawaii from Inner Thoughts of an Extrovert
- Ma. Venus Gemboa from JAPANime Talks
- The Otaku Judge
- Atelier Emily
Thanks to everyone above for bringing a little sunshine into our blogging lives, whether it’s with enlightening opinions and essays, or the time you take to read our work and share your thoughts. We’re lucky to have so many more dedicated and talented bloggers in our little circle, but we checked up on who’d already been nominated, and several of you had. Well done, if you’re one of them.
It seems a sad waste to throw aside those 11 great questions from Tessa, so we’ll pass those along to our nominees. Go ahead, we’ll look forward to your answers.
- What got you interested in blogging?
- What do you wish people knew about you without you having to tell people?
- What first got you interested in anime and or manga?
- Are you an early bird or a night owl?
- Do you plan or wing your blog posts?
- If you could save three things from a fire in your home, what would they be? Ps size, weight and quantity don’t matter.
- Do you have any anime merch? (this includes manga) If yes, what was the very first thing you bought?
- How open are you in the real world about your feelings towards anime?
- Have you ever cosplayed or wanted to? If yes, what character and why that character?
- If you knew money was not an issue, what is the one thing that you would do for yourself?
- What is your favourite post that you have written on your blog and what is the most popular post on your blog?